Keep your cranberry sauce in a jar. I'll take this homemade version any day! If you want a fun, spicy take on cranberry relish, give this recipe a try!
Jalapeno Cranberry Relish
- 1 jalapeño
- Remove seeds if you don't want it too spicy. I remove half the seeds, so it still has some kick.
- 1 lb. of fresh cranberries
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro
- My grocery store sells cilantro in a bunch. I take a fourth of the amount, and pull the leaves off and discard the stems.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Add a tablespoon at a time to reach desired sweetness.
- Splash of lemon and lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Throw it all in a food processor and pulse.
- Store in the fridge in an air-tight container.
- I find it usually lasts 5-7 days if kept covered and in the fridge.
This relish really needs to sit in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving. The flavors need time to blend together. I think it's best after sitting for a day.
What exactly do you eat with this? Well.......
I make it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, because it goes great with turkey and ham. And steak. And chicken. We like to put it on sandwiches. The sweet, tart flavor of the relish complements anything savory. I only make this about once a year, but it could very well be eaten year round!